Oeufs En Cocette

I went back to the La Cigale markets this morning with my friend Kathryn and picked up some very tasty produce, including leeks and duck eggs.  I hadn't cooked with duck eggs before, so did some quick sleuthing on google and found this recipe, which looked like a good option for brunch.  I didn't have any mushrooms or creme fraiche, so here is my version with the equipment and ingredients I had at hand.

Oeufs En Cocette
(Duck) eggs
Leek
(Free range) Ham
Baguette
Olive Oil
Butter
Salt
Black Pepper
Parmesan
  • Cut off the green part of your leek and discard.  Make an incision down the centre (lengthways) of the remaining white stem so that you can run your leek under the tap and rinse the layers to wash away any grit.  Finely slice the leek and cook in a frying pan with olive oil, sliced ham, salt and pepper.
  • Grease ramekins with butter and sprinkle a little salt on the bottom of each ramekin.  Crack a (duck) egg into each ramekin.  Put ramekins in a deep dish frying pan/saucepan  and add boiling water from your jug, filling to just below the lip of your ramekins, to make a hot water bath.  Crank up the heat on your element and cook until the egg whites have cooked, leaving the yolks runny.   Grate a little parmesan over the top of the ramekins a minute before you are ready to remove them from their bath.
  • Serve with toasted baguette.
I thought that the duck eggs tasted a little earthier than chicken eggs, but my partner doesn't taste any difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...