4 tbsp poppy seeds
1/4 cup milk
Juice of 1/2 a large lemon
200g butter, softened
1 tbsp finely grated lemon rind
1 cup caster sugar
21/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to a medium-high temperature. Grease a 25cm diameter pan and line the base with paper. Soak the poppy seeds in the milk and lemon juice for 10 minutes.
- Beat the butter, lemon rind and sugar in a very large bowl until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift the flour and baking powder straight into the bowl, in two batches, folding it in between batches, along with the milk and poppy seed mixture.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- When the cake is nearly done, make the syrup by combining the juice, sugar and water in a saucepan. Stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour the hot syrup over the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven (use a skewer to poke holes for the syrup to soak into). Leave to cool in the pan.