The Mitfords

I have just finished reading Wigs on the Green by Nancy Mitford.  It's the latest addition to my collection of books by, or about, the Mitford Girls.  My collection includes several novels, biographies and autobiographies, including two books signed by Mitfords (Debo and my hero Jessica).  I got a bit of grief from my other half for buying the one by Debo.  "You can't complain about being poor if you go about buying signed first edition books by duchesses."

I might write more detailed posts, later on, about each of The Mitfords, but in the meantime you can check out an introduction to The Mitfords that I wrote as a guest blog post over at Ice Floe.   I stand by my recommendation of Mary Lovell's The Mitford Girls.  The  cover unfortunately looks like a Harlequin romance novel, but the book itself is brilliant.  In fact it's responsible for my Mitford obsession.
As for Wigs on the Green...  Well, as far as comedies about fascist's go, it's quite charming.  By no means Nancy Mitford's best work, which is understandable as it's one of her earliest books.  A light read, it would appeal to anyone who likes P.G. Wodehouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...