Auckland Art Gallery

Last weekend I finally got around to visiting the refurbished Auckland Art Gallery.  But my, how it's shiny and exciting!  The new architecture is very glam, and I think it will date well.  More importantly, there is finally enough space for the collection to breathe and it's a joy wandering around inside seeing old favourites and new contemporary additions to the collection.  There is such a spectacular range that I'll definitely be back for multiple visits to enjoy the regular collection, let alone the special trips I might make for exhibitions like Degas to Dali.

Choi Jeong Hwa's Flower Chandelier


Stunning artwork aside, the gallery's cafe is a little average.  Great for a cup of coffee and cake, but Reuben's, directly across the road from the gallery, is a far better option for a meal.  The food is great, as is the service, and there's a good small wine collection.  Sitting outside on the balcony under the canopy of trees is a pleasure.

It's pleasing to see that the managers of the gallery shop have tried to stock the shelves with beautifully designed objects instead of tat, but the prices may deter a lot of people from taking away a keepsake.  I would love one of their cast glass birds on my walls at home, but at over $300 I don't see that happening any time soon.  I am however seriously considering ordering a print from the gallery's art collection. This is my favourite thus far:


Edward Fristrom, Pohutukawa


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...