Mango Salsa

OK, so I promise not to go on about Hawaii forever, but it has obviously made an impression on me - including the cuisine.  Contemporary Hawaiian food does not comprise of a lot of traditional food like kalua pork, taro and lomi-lomi.  It instead references a lot of other cultures (particularly Japanese and Hispanic) substituting abundant local produce for ingredients traditional in the recipes of those cultures.  So you end up with food with a lot of macadamia nuts, lime, fish and tropical fruit such as mango, papaya and pineapple.  One of my favourites was the tropical salsas served with Mahi mahi or Ono (fish).  

My husband and I made this today for a friend's birthday BBQ:

Ingredients:
1 large cucumber
2-3 ripe mangoes
1/3 red onion
chili (I didn't have fresh chili so used kaitaia fire instead)
large lime
coriander
salt and pepper

Large dice cucumber and mango and finely chop coriander and red onion.  Squeeze over the juice of your lime and add chili, salt and pepper to taste.  Stir together and leave to sit for a while in the fridge for the flavours to develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...