Chickens

I have been talking about getting chickens for a couple of years now and as much as I would love to, now is not the right time.  They do take some maintenance, particularly if you are in a situation like me where my husband has taken the stance that I can have chickens as long as he doesn't have to have anything to do with them and doesn't have to suffer through standing in chicken poo all the time.  So having chickens will mean thorough weekly cleaning sessions (brushing away and hosing of chicken poop) as well as the daily changes of food and water.  Nope.  Definitely not enough time at the moment.

When it does come time I know exactly what breeds of chicken I would like.  I know the right thing to do would be to rescue some generic battery chickens but I think if I went to do it my heart would melt and I would end up with a dozen or more, instead of just a couple, and my husband would kill me (followed by the chickens).  Instead, my Dream Chickens (yes I said it!) would be as follows:

Silkie - How could you not want at least one of these?  They look like muppets!  


Auracana - These South American chickens lay the most beautiful blue eggs.  Boiled eggs for breakfast would be a real treat.

Auracana Egg Photo from Vermont lifestyle blog Know Whey

5 comments:

  1. Seriously? you are supposed to clean up after them? We (my family) have always had chickens and I can confirm that not once have I ever had to clean out a chook run. Which is probably gross but they are chickens! As long as they have lots of room you only need to clean the muck out of the part they sleep in once a month at most - and it makes excellent compost! And they are like living compost heaps, you can give them all of your food scraps as food and just need out throw it out to them in the mornings. I think I was brought up to think animals are low maintenance because I totally do not think having chickens would be hard work at all.

    Also you have that dead swimming pool dying to be turned into a chook run!

    I want Bantams. Lovely chooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think chickens are a little less work in the country where there is more room. I wouldn't be able to let the chooks go completely free range or they will destroy my vege garden/annoy neigbhours/cats will eat them, so would need to create an enclosure. In enclosed spaces you do need to clean otherwise they get disease and the poop attracts flies and they can also attract rats. The dead swimming pool floods in winter so they will need to be housed above on the concrete ledge. All needs investigating.

      Delete
  2. never seen such chickens before, they are so fluffy and the blue eggs also never seen before

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they beautiful? I think they would make wonderful pets.

      Delete
  3. in the past i had a chiken from when she was little until he was old. i could carry her around, she was so nice, i loved to hold her and she just sit on my arms

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...